About the course
Mobile Elevated Work Platforms - MEWP's Operator Training
This LANTRA registered course can be organised to cover the type of MEWP used in your own workplace.
The options for the types of MEWP we offer training on are:
MEWP - Scissor
MEWP - Boom Vehicle Mounted
MEWP - Boom Self Propelled
MEWP - Boom Trailed
All the above options are for a 2-day training course for a maximum of 2 operators who have little or no experience of operating a MEWP in the workplace. ( Please see MEWP refresher fact sheet for refresher courses)
The course will cover:
- Identify the basic construction and components, and the purpose and use of all controls and gauges.
- Identify and comply with manufacturers instructions in accordance with the operator’s handbook, other information sources i.e. duties charts, and applicable legislation (PUWER, LOLER).
- Explain all relevant documentation.
- Explain all displayed information on the machine
- Carry out pre-start and running checks.
- Carry out emergency lowering procedures.
- Operate controls from ground level, and from within the working platform.
- Manoeuvre/travel the MEWP involving tight turns and limited access, using both forward and reverse motions.
- Travel the MEWP with the platform in a raised position (self-propelled only)
- Position the platform up to maximum working height.
- Keep within safe working parameters.
- Place the machine in an out-of-service condition.
- Explain the loading and unloading procedures on and off a transporter.
Personal Protective Equipment
All candidates will need safety footwear, overalls and a hi-viz jacket. Wet weather clothing is also required. These courses are generally delivered in the workplace or at our Clitheroe site. If attending the Clitheroe site you will also need to take a packed lunch.
The cost of each of these courses is £1080 - This is for the whole course so up to 2 people can attend, the price is reduced by £40 if only one person attends. If you only have one candidate, please contact the Employer Services Team at college as we can often match you with another employer with only one candidate to run a course.
The course cost does not include hire of a MEWP if we cannot provide one that is specific to your requirments.