Work placements are a mandatory part of many of our courses. Both students and employers can benefit from the scheme.
If you have already secured a Work Placement for when you course starts, please email email@example.com to let us know. Your email must contain your name, date of birth, the name of the organisation and the location/address of the organisation.
- Any hours that you complete at a place of work before your course starts, will not be counted on your Work Placement Record.
- Any hours completed before the College has approved the work placement, will be done so at your own risk.
- By the time you have started your course, you are expected to have secured (or have evidence that you have tried to secure) a work placement for when your course starts.
- The work placement should be based in an organisation relating to your area of study and they must agree to provide work or a voluntary a placement for you, usually one day a week, for the duration of your course.
- The organisation must also agree to a health and safety inspection from us.
- The work placement is not to be confused with any requirement for work experience to be completed before the start of your course (although it can be in the same organisation).
Benefits for Students
Examples of work placements include, zoos, sporting venues, charities, tree surgeons, florists, pet shops, animal sanctuaries, veterinary surgeries, propagators and farms.
The benefits include:
- Employability skills
- Potential job or apprenticeship opportunities
- Improved communication skills
- Meeting and working alongside different people and professional staff
- Choosing your career, making sure that you are choosing the right path through life
“I would definitely recommend industry placements to other students. I feel I’m more confident and
independent. I’ve met a much wider range of people and it’s helped me develop new skills. It’s
widened my horizons, including how I see my career developing and has given me higher aspirations.
It’s been a great stepping stone, I feel more trusted, so it’s built my confidence. Employers are looking
for a mixture of technical knowledge and practical ability, this gives you the best of both worlds.”
- A Myerscough Student
Benefits for Employers and Tutors
- Chance to introduce new workers into the workplace
- Passionate learners
- Supporting young people
- Possible future employees
- More motivated learners
- Working with qualified and specialist job coaches
On being asked would you recommend industry placements to other employers:
“Yes, unreservedly. The placements have value to the students by exposing them to the “real” experience of work”
"The more industry placement time the better."
Quotes from employers
“One of the key elements of success of industry placements has been instilling into prospective
students, even at their initial interview for college, the importance of industry placements. The
College’s decision to have a fully focused team of Job Coaches working in an integrated way with the
academic areas, students and employers, is definitely the right way for us. It is working really well and
is getting positive feedback from everyone involved.”
“For employers and students, it is like an extended interview. Industry placements give the students
greater career prospects and also the ability to really know that this is the right choice for them. This
then has a positive impact on the industry as you have committed talent coming through.“
“Industry placements are integral to student success in the industry. The students are the employees
of the future. Employers definitely need to work with us to help match the student to the placement to
hold interviews and be part of the whole process”
If you need support or guidance whilst looking for a placement you can email firstname.lastname@example.org