About the course
This qualification is aimed at individuals who want to pursue a career in the health and fitness industry as a fitness instructor in the context of gym-based exercise. The qualification is widely recognised as the industry’s minimum requirement to practice as a fitness instructor.
What are the entry requirements?
- Some experience of gym-based exercises, including free weights, is highly recommended
- The course requires physical exertion and individual participation is essential; therefore, a degree of physical fitness is necessary
- There is also an element of communication (discussing, presenting, reading and writing) involved and learners should have basic skills in communication pitched at level 2
- Adults (aged 16+) wishing to pursue a career in the health and fitness sector as gym-base fitness instructors
- Please note that 16 to 18 year-olds may need to be supervised in the workplace, once they have achieved the qualification
How long is the course?
What will the course involve?
To train individuals to a professionally competent level, enabling them to prescribe, plan and deliver safe and effective exercise programmes within a gym or health club environment.
- Principles of anatomy, physiology and fitness
- Professionalism and customer care for fitness instructors
- Health and safety in a fitness environment
- Conducting client consultations to support positive behaviour
- Instructing gym-based exercise
What equipment will I need?
Suitable fitness gym clothing and footwear
How will I know if I am making progress?
Via ongoing mock tests for practical and theoretical aspects of the course before final assessments for each unit.
What work will I be expected to complete?
4 Session Plans
Formative observed session
Summative observed session
What can I expect to learn from this course?
Develop learner’s knowledge of anatomy and physiology and how it relates to exercise and fitness
Develop learner’s ability to plan and deliver safe and effective gym sessions
Provide learners with the knowledge to develop good customer service and the personal qualities required by the exercise and fitness industry
Provide learners with an awareness of health and safety in an exercise and fitness environment
What other training programmes and progression opportunities are there?
Provides progression to Level 3 qualifications in Personal Training for learners who wish to further
their knowledge and skills and become personal trainers working with specialist populations as
well as the general population
Learners may also broaden their knowledge and skills by progressing to qualifications in
Instructing Circuits, Kettlebells, Studio Cycling, Group Training.
Job roles in:
- Health clubs
- Leisure centres
- Community centres