City & Guilds Level 2 Award in the Safe Use of Ride on Self Propelled Mowers
About the course
Brief Description of the Course:
This course covers the use of ride on self-propelled mowers, including pre-use checks, maintenance, identification of controls and instruments and operating the machine taking into account the type of cutting mechanism used (rotary, cylinder, flail or reciprocating knife)
A keen interest in horticulture, ground-keeping or green-keeping.
The assessment consists of two compulsory units which are broken down into the following outcomes:
· Know how to carry out a basic risk assessment
· Know the health and safety legislation that underpins machine operations
· Know the Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for mower operations
· Know the key features of the equipment being used
· Know the controls and instruments relating to the equipment being used
· Know how to check and maintain the equipment being used
· Know how to adjust the cutting units
· Know how to safely operate a mower
· Be able to set up, use and maintain ride on powered equipment
· Be able to work safely and minimise environmental damage
· Know how to maintain ride on powered equipment
· Know the operating principles of powered equipment
· Know the current health and safety legislation and environmental good practice
Learning and Assessment:
This practical course is delivered to include all the outcomes listed and assessed independently of the training day.
Assessment is held on a separate day (Usually/ideally the following week).
All Assessment fees are included in Course fee/funding.
To gain the qualification you must complete a practical test with one-to-one questioning
The assessment may be taken on a machine with any type of cutting mechanism, for example:
· Reciprocating knife
· Greens machine with interchangeable units
Course Fees: £258
The cost of this course is usually £258. However, residents of Liverpool City Region are likely to be eligible for funding to pay for all or part of this course.
Please bring safety footwear and suitable outdoor clothing.
There are further NPTC competency courses available at the College.
How to Apply:
To apply for this programme, please complete the on-line application form using the links on the right of the factsheet on the website. Alternatively, printed application forms are available from Course Enquiries:
Myerscough College Liverpool, Croxteth Hall and Country Park, Croxteth Hall Lane, Liverpool, L12 0HB
Please note that the information provided in this fact sheet was accurate at the date of publication. However, programmes of study are continually being modified and information is therefore subject to change.