About the course
As one of the range of courses in the Bush Craft series the camp craft course is designed as an introduction to making the typical camp ‘gadgets’ manufactured as part of the bush craft and backwoodsmanship skills and the importance of the fire as the means to cooking.
In backwoods camping there are a number of camp gadgets, these are things made at camp, to make life easier such as something to sit on, to something to sleep on, things to use in the camp kitchen, or for camp cooking.
The course will cover the basic skills needed to make camp gadgets, prepare the fire and the basic techniques for cooking that will make your camping experience more comfortable.
The programme aims to cover the following areas as the day progresses:
· Health, hygiene, food storage and Safety
· Safe use of an axe, knife and saw when making camp gadgets
· Make simple furniture’s such as a chair and table
· The importance of the fire
· Fire lighting techniques
· Different fire type and their uses
The Trappers or Hunters
The trench and Keyhole
· Adapting fires for different cooking techniques
· Implements and gadgets you can make or use to cook
This is very much an outdoor course and reliant on the weather. It will only be cancelled under extreme circumstances
The course will involve the use of sharp tools, and although we make every endeavour to show you how to use them safely, the damaging of your clothing and minor cuts may be possible. You will be responsible for your own actions.
Candidates are expected to provide suitable outdoor clothing, resources etc. considering when necessary the time of year. Suggestions are:
- Hat, gloves waterproof and windproof jacket
- Wool jumpers or fleeces
- Combat or work wear trousers (better than denim)
- Good boots or sturdy waterproof boots
- Sun Cream
- Insect repellent
Food is available to purchase on site but it would be a good option to bring a packed lunch and refreshments